- This page contains mature content that may include strong language, sexual references, and/or graphic images which may be upsetting to some.
|Portrayed by:||Ricci Harnett|
|Appearance(s):||28 Days Later (film)|
|Profession:||British Army corporal|
|Cause of death:||Eyes gouged out by Jim|
Corporal Mitchell was a vicious and psychotic soldier under Major Henry West's command, one of the few soldiers who lived a full month after the first Rage virus outbreak started in the United Kingdom. He was killed by Jim during the events at Worsley House.
During the Original Outbreak of the Rage Virus, Mitchell was among the soldiers sent to cover the Forty-Second Blockade protecting Manchester, defending it against repeated Infected attacks. However, the Infected eventually overran the blockade and entered the city, killing all the soldiers at the blockade except for nine, including Mitchell.
Mitchell and the other surviving men, led by Major Henry West, fled to the Worsley House in the forest, which they fortified against attack with mines, tripwires, barbed wire and barricades. On Day 23 of the outbreak, Major West made a promise to his men that any female survivors they found would be forced into sexual slavery. When Mailer was infected 29 days into the outbreak, Mitchell knocked him out and Mailer was chained up.Jim, Selena and Hannah to the Worsley House after the three survivors were found at the blockade. The trio were then taken in by Major West.
The following night, at dinner with the survivors, Mitchell mocked Bell for believing that things would eventually return to normal. The Worsley House was then attacked by the Infected, but Mitchell and the other soldiers fended them off; Mitchell by mowing them down with a machine gun. Afterwards, Mitchell mocked and attempted to force himself on Selena. When Jim intervened, Mitchell pinned the former to the floor before Farrell violently forced Mitchell to release Jim. Mitchell shortly after attacked and beat up Farrell with the other soldiers when the latter tried to help Jim, Hannah and Selena escape.
The next day, Jones and Mitchell took Jim and Farrell out to a body dump in the woods behind the Worsley House to be executed. Mitchell wanted to kill the two by skewering them with a bayonet, much to Jones' horror, and when Jones shot Farrell (the shot passing in close proximity to Mitchell, hurting his ear) to spare Farrell a slower death by Mitchell, a vicious argument ensued between Jones and Mitchell, which gave Jim time to escape. Mitchell and Jones searched for Jim, but gave up and left him to die out in the Infected-filled woods after discovered he had escaped outside the perimeter.
That night, when the recently-released Mailer rampaged through the house, Mitchell sent Bedford to kill Mailer, while he forcefully took Selena upstairs. When Mitchell and Selena heard Jim break into the mansion, Mitchell locked himself and Selena in a room.
With the two temporarily safe from the rampaging Infected, Mitchell began making vulgar taunts to Selena, when Jim came in through the ceiling and took Mitchell by surprise, bashing his head against the wall repeatedly in a fit of rage. Jim then gouged Mitchell's eyes out by pressing his thumbs into Mitchell's eye sockets, slowly killing him while he screams in horror and agony. Also causing Selena to believe Jim was infected.
- "You stupid cunt! What you doin'!? What, you wanna shoot me, do ya!!? You wanna fucking shoot me, I'll fucking kill you!!!"
- ―Mitchell shows his more vicious side to Jones, one of his own fellow soldiers.
Mitchell was violent and insensitive with a sarcastic sense of humour, and arguably the most unhinged of Major West's surviving men (aside possibly from the major himself). It's unknown if these traits of his personality surfaced during the outbreak or if he was always this way. A cruel and selfish man, Mitchell gladly took any chance to brutalize and abuse anyone he had power over. He was eager for the chance to kill Sergeant Farrell, his hated superior, and informed Jim that he intended to rape Selena and "make her squeal."
The most aggressive and dominant of the soldiers under West, Mitchell was popular with the surviving privates, as he effectively let them do whatever they wanted so long as they did what he said. Mitchell was capable of reacting quickly and handling himself well in fast-paced, dangerous situations, as displayed in the defence of Worsley House, but he also had either no interest or no ability to actually lead on his own, as the defence of the house collapsed after Farrell was murdered and West went missing.
- When Jim kills Mitchell by pressing his thumbs into Mitchell's eye sockets, if one looks closely, it can be seen that Cillian Murphy (Jim's actor) is just pressing his thumbs against the flesh below Ricci Harnett's (Mitchell's actor) eyes.
- The sweater that Mitchell wears during the dinner scene and the scene in which he harasses Selena has the Parachutist Badge with Wings sewn onto it. That badge is worn only by qualified parachutists who are assigned to a unit where parachute jumps are anticipated as part of their duties. The Parachute Regiment was the only non-special forces section of the British Army that was, as a unit, qualified and ready to conduct airborne operations.
- When West is showing Jim the kitchen, Mitchell can be seen briefly with a paras beret, a second mark of a (former) member of the Parachute Regiment.
- The way Jim murders Mitchell is very similar to (possibly an inspiration for) when Donald Harris viciously murders his wife Alice Harris by giving her violent head trauma and finally forcing his thumbs into her brain via the eye sockets.
- Mitchell's rank corresponds to that of sergeant (E-5) in the United States Army, as British Army corporals are given more responsibility as junior non-commissioned officers.